SILVER LAKE — Damages were estimated at $750,000 in Tuesday’s fire that destroyed two houses and left a third seriously damaged.

The fire was reported 12:08 p.m. at the Richard Bausch residence at 3997 Avenue D, Wyoming County Emergency Services officials said.

The blaze then spread to two other houses. They included a house at 6816C Avenue D, owned by Lynn and Thomas Houseknecht, along with 6816 Avenue D, owned by Scott Walton.

The Bausch and Houseknecht houses were destroyed. The Walton house sustained extensive damage.

Cause was traced to a faulty air conditioner. Firefighters were at the scene for nine hours.

Firefighters from four counties responded to the scene. They included units from Silver Springs, Castile, Perry, Perry Center, Gainesville, Warsaw, Wyoming, Bliss, Pavilion, Mount Morris, Fillmore and Wiscoy-Rossburg.

Wyoming County Emergency Management Office personnel were also at the scene, along with county sheriff’s deputies; the Emergency Response Team; county Building and Codes staff, Town of Castile Highway workers; Ed Hulme Incorporated; Pioneer Gas; Ferrell Gas; and New York State Electric and Gas.

Units from Pike, Varysburg, Attica, Alexander, Leicester and Short Tract were on standby.

Johnson Newspapers 7.1